This article simply explains how to control your speaker and mic volume using command in linux. The commands will vary based on your soundcard driver. Some of the famous sound architectures are ALSA , OSS etc., . My machine is configured with ALSA (Advance Linux Sound Architecture).
alsamixer is a ncurses mixer program for use with the ALSA soundcard drivers. It supports multiple soundcards with multiple devices.
Here is the command to control volume via terminal
Syntax : alsamixer [ options ]
Help: show available flags.
-c, –card <card number or identification>
Select the soundcard to use, if you have more than one. Cards
are numbered from 0 (the default).
-D, –device <device identification>
Select the mixer device to control.
-V, –view <mode>
Select the starting view mode, either playback, capture or all.
Toggle the using of colors.
This is the screen shot of alsamixer with some basic options. In the top left most corner card name, mixer chip name, current view mode and the currently selected mixer item. Some other keyboard shortcuts are
F1 : Help ; F2 : System Information ; F6 : Select Sound Card ; Esc : Exit.
You can navigate and increase/decrease volume using arrow keys across the bars.
When a mixer control is turned off, M (mute) appears below the volume bar. When it’s turned on, O in green appears instead. You can toggle the switch via m key. When a mixer control has capture capability, the capture flag appears below the volume bar, too. When the capture is turned off, —- is shown. CAPTURE in red appears when the capture switch is turned on. In addition, L and R letters appear in left and right side to indicate that left and the right channels are turned on. Some controls have the enumeration list, and don’t show boxes but only texts which indicate the currently active item. You can change the item via up/down keys.
- How to play songs using commands in linux
- How to convert songs into different formats in linux
If you like this article please share it in Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin.
- No Related Posts
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on GooglePlus
Find us on Facebook
- Easy method to install Skype in CentOS 6.3, RHEL – 6.3
- Easy method to recover linux root password
- Easy method to install KDE in ubuntu 12.04
- How to disable selinux
- Change selinux to permissive
- How to check selinux status
- Get website details
- How to install nginx in ubuntu
- How to install nginx in RHEL 5
- How to install nginx in RHEL 6
- How to install nginx in centos 5
- Get linux OS details – Kernel version, distribution version, name, architecture, codename, release
- Service start, stop, restart – nginx in centos
- How to change nginx port number
- How to install nginx on centos 6
- Rsync command with ssh port number
- File creation date and time in linux
- How to install Java in ubuntu linux
- How to install Oracle Java JDK in ubuntu
- How to set password for website
- Plesk – MySQL admin login – password
- How to install and configure PHPMyAdmin from source code in CentOS / RHEL / Fedora linux
- How to find out mysql uptime
- How to backup and restore mysql database
- How to recover mysql root password
- How to connect Mobile Broadband in the ubuntu linux
- Easy method to update bootloader in linux
- Webcam software for linux
- Check memory usage in linux
- How to find out CPU utilization in linux